- 13 lessons teaching how to play 13 very popular Irish tunes.
- Progress at your own pace, pause & repeat videos.
- Access on all your devices.
- PDF sheet music & mp3’s to download & keep for each tune.
- 14-day free trial. Cancel anytime
- Access to 14 instruments, 40+ courses, 700+ tutorials
- Access our Entire Course Catalogue for Every Instrument.
- Library of over 150 popular Irish tunes to practice along with.
- Virtual Reality Sessions for the unique Irish Pub Session experience – a real treat for the Irish music lover.
- Community Forum of students and teachers, all friends with a love of Irish music.
Concertina Progressions is aimed at those who already know the basics and foundations of anglo concertina playing but who want to progress with their ornamentation, repertoire and chording skills. If you’re new to the concertina you’re recommended to start with the Concertina Basics course, followed by Concertina Foundations before this course.
By the end of the course you will have a repertoire of thirteen tunes that sit well on the concertina, a better understanding of ornamentation and chords, and a deeper understanding of the Irish music tradition; not to mention a very good reason to head for the Willie Clancy Summer School in County Clare, in Ireland in July! The course has 13 lessons, broken into 3 to 4 tutorials each, where tunes are taught phrase by phrase.
Most of the tunes taught on this course have links to the town of Miltown Malbay, Co Clare, birth place of uilleann piper Willie Clancy and home to one of Ireland’s largest traditional music festivals held in his name: The Willie Clancy Summer School. The repertoire of Willie Clancy features strongly throughout the course.
In the first three lessons the tutor focuses mainly on ornamentation: cuts, grace notes and triplets. In lessons four and nine the links between concertina chording and the drones and regulators of the pipes are discussed and demonstrated. Although the lessons are aimed at an intermediate level of playing, the more advanced player can pick up advanced techniques which can be heard when the tutor plays the tune in full at the opening of each lesson: namely chords, ornamentation, variation and speed.
The traditional Irish tunes taught in this course are:
The Hills Of Coore
An Suisin Bán
The Mountain Top
The Battle Of Aughrim
The Hardiman The Fiddler
The Morning Star
Sonny Murray’s Hornpipe
Willie Clancy’s Reel
Tatter Jack Walsh
The Humours Of Scarriff
Sample Sheet Music
Download I Buried My Wife and Danced On Top of Her ABC Sheet Music.
Download The Rattlin’ Bog I Buried My Wife and Danced On Top of Her Standard Notation Sheet Music.
Sample mp3 of I Buried My Wife and Danced On Top of Her
Detailed questions and discussion on the course can be found in the Community Forum, available to paying members only.