The Bodhrán is one of the most recognisable Irish musical instruments around. In the right hands, this Irish hand-held drum provides definitive, strong and enchanting rhythms as the musician expertly tinkers its pitch and timbre. But don’t be fooled by the ease with which they play, mastering this traditional drum is no easy feat. Our online Bodhrán courses will provide you with the skill-set and know-how to quickly master your Bodhrán, saving you time on figuring it out for yourself. Master tutors will show you how to hold and handle your Bodhrán all from the comfort of your home. We have two amazing courses for beginners from Nicolle Fig and Brian Fleming. Follow these with a master class from Jim Higgins and you too will be well on your way to making it all look easy!
Scroll down to see our amazing Bodhrán courses.
Bodhrán Frequently Asked Questions
(answered by tutor Brian Fleming)
1. You are holding the stick at too great an angle from the drum, it should be about 45 degrees from the drum, no more.
2. You are clenching the stick too tightly, a common beginner mistake and also a common side effect of over thinking when you’re practicing. There’s a little bit in the lesson about the ‘wiggle’ movement your hand should be doing, like as if you’re shaking water off your hand. There can be an accentuating factor, but it doesn’t happen unless one of the above is present and that is that your skin may be a little rough if the bodhran hasn’t yet been thoroughly ‘played in yet.’ In summary; angle, wiggle and ‘practice practice practice!’ – Brian.
Try it for free, Cancel anytime
- 14 Irish music instruments
- 34 renowned Irish music tutors
- Includes mp3 files and sheet music
- Don’t need to read music!
- Available 24/7 on all your devices
- Cheaper than one-to-one lessons
- 75 Courses
- Multi-speed Practice Tracks
- Play Along Pub Sessions
- Student Forum
- 900+ Lessons
- One Subscription – Unlimited Access